Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Where I Sleep At Your Door



Artist: Jon Hughes
Label: Jon Hughes
Release Date: March 25, 2015
Duration:  6 tracks, 29:37



Eclectic alt-folk / alt-rock shines in Jon Hughes’ second EP among his eight releases. The American born artist, currently residing in Cork, Ireland, continues to grow and explore with Where I Sleep At Your Door.

“Followed You First” showcases Hughes distinctive vocal qualities with melody harkening to earlier works. Certainly a new and unique sound for Hughes showing growth and direction is found in “After I Came Quietly”, a slower, bluesy tune with shades of early Dylan.

An artist’s introspection is seldom heard so clearly as in “Distortions of the Phrase”. A slow and haunting shoegaze with a hint of country is found in  “I See the Years I’ve Lost”.

Hughes poetry shines accompanied by solid percussion and big breaks in “Driving Down These Old Streets”. “I’m Not There” proves to be a great road song as it rambles down memories highway. 

Distinctive, original and strongly independent. My only question is how long can this unique and gifted artist remain under the radar?




Scott S Mertens


4 tocks

No comments:

Post a Comment