Saturday, November 11, 2017




Artist: Hippo Campus
Label: Grand Jury Music
Release Date: October 9, 2015
Duration: 11 tracks, 41:52



Few times have popular indie-rock been affected as when The Knack happened upon the music scene in the late ‘70s. Fresh, crisp and playful, everything clicked – then the flame quickly died. With Hippo Campus this same event again flames bright. Fresh, crisp and playful with prose having the ability to evoke many thoughts, clean and bright lead guitar with the rhythm guitar not only giving foundation but playfully mixing in, vocals both lead and chorus strong and youthful, bass and drum laying a firm foundation. Everything clicks new, clean and bright!

On an early winter Saturday morning I had the good fortune to be watching CBS This Morning and their Saturday Sessions musical showcase. On that day Hippo Campus played “South”, “Dollar Bill” and “Little Grace”. I was blown away:


The Halocline EPs is the combination of the band’s two previously released EPs, Bashful Creatures and South. Together, the collection soars in emotion with each song branding its own meaning for the listener. On one or two occasions the use of profanity underscores the song’s message rather than evoke a glam emotion. Throughout, the simple prose of the bands youthful subject matter takes on deeper meaning through the vocals of Jake Luppen playing tightly with the lead guitar of Nathan Stocker.

Youth’s experience is displayed in songs “Souls” speaking of youthful ignorance and “Little Grace” (explicit language) storying societal girls and jealous boys. “Opportunistic” displays youthful indulgence and lose while “Suicide Saturday” attempts to balance youth’s vision of society and self eventually committing social suicide.

Youthful lose is found in the lyrics of “South” with:

Three leagues down the soft side of where you left my
Gold rose crown, you broke down, and left me with a
Chest hum, a black gun, and forty dollars
Chest hum, a black gun, and forty dollars

Three weeks down, I drowned myself in whiskey
Came back round, drowned out, and left me with a
Chest hum, a black gun, and forty dollars
Chest hum, a black gun, and forty dollars

Streetlights talk the same way my mother told me
I walk the same way my father told me
Back straight, chest out, just like a soldier
Back straight, chest out, just like a soldier

Wise men talk the same way my mother told me
I walk the same way my father told me
Back straight, chest out, just like a soldier
Back straight, chest out, just like a soldier

Both the hard hitting “Dollar Bill” speaking of the world’s sin and loathing, and “Bashful Creatures” (explicit language) exploding with emotion regarding the shame and embarrassment shown by overly self-conscious youth are powerful in content

With this Minneapolis-based band having its senior member all of 21 years old, their youthful spirit is at one exhibiting revolt and at another despair. The listener is easily impressed by their maturity of lyric as well as their musicianship. With The Rolling Stone stating ‘the band is one to watch’ and ‘taking Lollapalooza by storm’ in 2015 it would seem their future is bright.


Let’s hope the flame grows strong and not one to burn out quickly.




Scott S Mertens


4 1/2 tocks

No comments:

Post a Comment