Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Keep Me


Artist: Sarah Baquet
Label:  Independent
Release Date: August 3, 2011
Duration:  14 tracks, 48:46



A sampling of all artists compared to Christian artists alone would show there are as many Christian artists who are under the public radar as all artists combined. The ‘starving’ artists often create heart-felt masterpieces, which seldom reach the masses but thankfully find a home in the heart of those in need. Such is the case with Sarah Baquet’s freshman release Keep Me.

Sarah Baquet, who also goes by the name ‘Sarita’, (acquired during one of her early mission trips) is a gifted songwriter, musician, mission worker, teacher, wife, mother, and friend to all who have been lucky enough to cross her path. Few artists are so gifted as to seamlessly craft multiple languages in their songs. Nearly a decade in the making, Keep Me combines these qualities with a faith as strong as I have witnessed to produce a collection of personal songs with the intent of sharing an artist’s truths.

Every lyric is praise, worship, and a reflection of Christian life. Every song acoustic, strong, and full of life. Every melody carries faith. Simple and true, listening to Keep Me reminds the listener of Judee Sill’s work long ago, but with a message much more pure and direct.

Some of Baquet’s earliest writing clearly portrays the depth of her faith. “Till My Last Day” shines with strong voice giving light to powerful lyrics and ”Hail Holy Queen”, with lyrics adapted from Catholic prayer, portrays a faith strong. Excerpt from “Till My Last Day”:

            Just a little while left they told me, and then I looked ahead.
            The path of Your servant is long, for to gain your life You said,
You have to lose it.
            O, Father, is there any other way,
            But to choose that Christ increase in me…Till my last day

Both “Comply”, with good breaks and great melody, and “Keep Me”, display Baquet’s wide vocal range. One of three Spanish lyric offerings samples the depth of her talents (the artist’s notes are included to provide background)”:

“Desde Mi Castillo Blanco”  (“From My Whit Castle” – this is NOT an allusion to the White House or to our government, rather, white is a symbol of the clean, pristine, comfortable and perfect world we long for, and that which the ugly poverty of our brothers and sisters ‘dirties’.)

From my white castle in comfort and in warmth I see my brother suffering, beneath the rain and the cold is killing him.  What am I going to do?

Chorus: Let us begin brothers, because up until now little or nothing have we done! (A quote from St. Francis of Assissi, the actual quote is “Let us begin, brothers, to serve the Lord our God for up to now we have made little or no progress.)

Since my childhood everything that I have needed, everything that I have wanted was given to me, and you since your childhood have looked, amidst tears for a future that only perhaps will exist.

Bridge: The Church is falling down. What am I doing? My brother is suffering. What am I doing? Jesus is dying. What am I doing? What am I going to do? “Pa”  (the Spanish onomatopoeia for a heart beat) pa….my heart; pa….your heart, I never realized that; .pa….my heart  beats and pa…..your heart is the same.

“Gentle Man” provides a bouncing melody adding color to the story of a man who wants to believe. A personal, poignant story concludes the collection with “Daddy’s Girl”, a heartfelt sharing of a youthful memory.

While a few songs are raw and under-produced (such is often the norm for independently produced albums), most shine in their simplicity and truth giving proof of a great ability to write a truly good song. As I again listen to Keep Me, I agree with Baquet’s summation of her song collection – ‘honest’.  Sarah Baquet’s liner note to fans:

After searching for a word to describe this project we finally settled on the word ‘honest.’ I hope that in its honesty this album will bring you to a place of honesty before the Lord who seeks us not as we wish to be, but as we are.  It is in this place of honesty that He reaches down His tender and merciful hand to touch us. It is in this place that He beckons us to sanctity. My hope is that those who listen will be inspired to seek Him and His will with reckless abandon and in finding it will pursue it with the courage of the Saints. Please join your prayer with mine in asking the Lord that NOTHING ‘keeps me,’ (keeps us) from Him!



SS Mertens

3.5 tocks


No comments:

Post a Comment