Tuesday, October 31, 2017

I Was Wrong, I’m Sorry & I Love You


Artist: Derek Webb
Label: Fair Trade/Columbia
Release Date: September 3, 2013
Duration: 12 tracks, 52:18



With an extremely full, well engineered sound, distinctively crystal clear vocals, vast sounding chorus as if sung in a deep, cavernous cathedral, and acoustic foreground Derek Webb’s I Was Wrong, I’m Sorry & I Love You recently hit the stands with many an opinion. From those stating this is his request for forgiveness of stated opinion to the desire to increase his fan base. I Was Wrong, I’m Sorry & I Love You is, in some respects a sequel to Webb’s first solo LP, She Must & Shall Go Free. Also, in his own words, this is perhaps his most personal album to date. Somewhat tuned down, both lyrically and musically, this album is a collection of solid songs of faith.


With clear and vibrant melody, the album has a big sound. Gone are the bits of techno-beat, and distortion found in the last few efforts. Electronica is toned down but occasionally present as a background. With the occasional esoteric lyric, there is little of the controversy of the past few of Webb’s albums. Rather than coming back to an earlier place in his repertoire, he is leaning forward in a faith-based maturity we all have or hope to find in this life. While still on the cutting edge of questioning what has become of true Christian faith, Webb has ‘boiled down’ his questions and concerns to a beautiful truth of Christian faith in simple love, respect, charity and kindness.


With strong message and melody, “I Was Wrong, I'm Sorry & I Love You” opens with a message of apology, but one has to ask is it Webb’s or ours? Eye Of The Hurricane” follows being both introspective and having lyrically sweet poetry, like many of Webb’s recent works:

Cause I am the man from which I am running
So even if I wanted to, I can't escape
This is the man that I am becoming
Running in the eye of the hurricane

“Lover Part 3” is a follow-up to “Lover” on She Must & Shall Go Free and “Lover Part 2” on I See Things Upside Down, each telling of Christ’s undying relationship with each of us.

Lyrically, songs vary from Christ’s love for us as in “A Place At Your Table” and Everything Will Change” to our faith failing as in “Heavy” and “The Vow”.I Measure The Days (Simplified Anglican Chant)” is spoken word set to harp-like backing giving this song a magical quality with beautiful lyrics of praise. Light and airy, the appropriate closing is found in “Thy Will Be Done” giving prayer-like sweet lyrics to be kept in our hearts:

If but my fainting heart be blest,
With Thy sweet Spirit for its guest,
My God, to Thee I leave the rest,
"Thy will be done!"
"Thy will be done!

Theological, artistic, and political growth can be found in each of Webb’s albums. While in his way forever being held as one working for social and political change, he has also brought the listener to a point of faith-based understanding. Webb supports both those in need and those issues in need of Christ’s love and forgiveness. For this writer, I only wish he would also take a stand for environmental issues as God’s creation is deeply in need of.


Scott S Mertens


4 tocks

No comments:

Post a Comment