Monday, August 9, 2010

Author Biography: Scott Mertens

Writing & Me


My initiation to writing is as clear today as when it occurred. At the inquisitive age of 10, riding our stingrays home from McKinley Grade School in our hometown of Manitowoc, Wisconsin a close friend explained the virtues of reading and writing. At that magical moment, riding low on our banana seats with arms outstretched to our elevated handle bars, I had a desire to write.

As years passed, providing exposure to both personal experiences and various styles of written format, I became interested in the written word as a form of self expression. So I would try to express myself, and try, and try… Although for years I have faithfully retained notes, outlines, and memorized story lines, a single written work of mine was never completed. I needed a push!

While recently visiting area churches, we attended Spring Lake Church in Green Bay, Wisconsin at the suggestion of friends. During one of our initial visits, my wife Kathi pointed out a church bulletin describing ‘Write Path’, a group of church members interested in Christianity and writing. Just the jumpstart a wanna-be writer like me might need. Early in 2008 I joined the Write Path group searching for like-minded individuals with the drive and a desire to write. I found what I had been searching for! Or quite possibly the Lord lead me to this encounter. Finally I might find the drive and desire to express myself in a written work.

We all strive to express ourselves. The root of ones expression defines their individualism, which also defines an artist and their art. Using our experiences, imagination, dreams and wishes we express ourselves. No matter the reason or format, whether in words, visuals, speech, dance, or the plethora of other devices, we desire to express ourselves.

Some of us, however, have a difficult time ‘expressing’. This haunting desire
to express has led me to write. As I look back, I was published in a January, 1976 publication of Milwaukee’s ‘Bugle American’ underground newspaper, in an editorial railing against those tabloid columnists who focused on the personal life of musicians of the era rather than their art. Well, with that minor start in mind and with a little help from my Write Path friends, I will continue. As I’ve stated in my blog, I hope to provide in writing my observances based on experiences and interests. Since they represent the fabric of my life, I share my lessons learned, my views on our world, my spiritual growth, and the interests I hold dear.

Please enjoy and never hold back.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that Bugle cartoonist Jim Mitchell, shown on the cover of that ish of the Bugle, still lives in Milwaukee, and still does art?

    ReplyDelete